Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Our Journey

I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints......otherwise known as Mormons. My parents raised me with a strong foundation of the Gospel and as far back as I can remember, I have never questioned any of my beliefs. When I was 16, my older sister was killed in a car accident. That was the first moment in my life, when everything I had been taught was tested. When you go through a tragedy like that, you question everything. Why did it happen? Why her? We were a good, church-going family....why us? It was also that same tragedy that strengthened my beliefs. I remember going back to school afterwards and sitting in class talking to a friend of mine. She was a different religion than me and we were talking about what had happened to my sister. She made the comment that she didn't think she would ever be able to move on if she ever lost her sister. She told me that according to her religion, we would see Vanessa again, but wouldn't know or love her any differently than we would know and love our neighbor. In other words, I wouldn't know her as my sister. My parents wouldn't know her as their daughter. I remember sitting there thinking, "That just isn't good enough!" As Mormons, we believe that families are forever. And while that knowledge doesn't make it hurt any less, it sure is a comfort knowing that I will see Vanessa again and that our relationship will continue to grow.


A few months ago, Mia and I were sitting on her bed talking. Mia is my super sensitive child. She has such a kind heart and is so in tune with others feelings. She is also my deep thinker and will sit and have long conversations about Heavenly Father, my mom, my sister, etc. This particular day, we were talking about my mom and how much I missed her. Mia started to cry and was saying that she didn't want me to ever die. We started talking about how families are forever and that I knew that when it was my time to go, I would see my mom again. And I told her that when she was much much older and passed away, she would see me again! Mia looked up at me with her big brown eyes, and said "But how will I find you?" At that point, I could no longer hold back the tears. I scooped her up onto my lap and told her "you won't have to find me, because I will be waiting for you." At that moment, I was overcome with joy at the knowledge we have that no matter what happens here in this life, families can be together forever!


So, why all this talk about eternal families? Well, because this weekend I will be marrying my husband again....but this time, in the San Antonio Temple!!!!!!!!!!!!! And this time it will be for time and all eternity!!!! This is a day that I have been praying for, for 14 years. We are going to be sealed in the temple!! When I married my husband, he was not a Mormon. He converted a few years later, but has never been active in the church. This hasn't always been easy for me. In fact, at times it was really hard. I have always prayed that he would find the answers he was looking for and would have the desire to come back to church. Don't get me wrong, we have had a wonderful life. He is truly the most amazing husband and father that I know. We have been blessed with 5 precious children. Like any married couple, we have had our struggles, but all in all, life has been good to us!! But, at the same time, something was missing. It's kind of like that feeling I had when our 4th child, Mason, was little. I looked at my kids one day and I just knew that someone was missing...our family wasn't complete. That is the same type of feeling that I have been having for years. Yes, my life is great - I have a wonderful husband and 5 of the best kids in the world!! But, deep down, it always saddened me that I was not sealed to this amazing family that I have been so blessed to have.


Last October 2010, my prayers were answered. Kyle and I went back to church and the changes in our family have been incredible. I didn't think it was possible for Kyle to amaze me any more than he already did, but he does. He went through the missionary discussions again and I have loved being able to watch his testimony of the Gospel grow. What a huge blessing this has been for our family!! It has truly been one of the most incredible years for us. Words cannot even begin to explain how full of joy my heart is right now. It has been an extremely emotional couple of months for me. Every time I think about it, I cry tears of joy!! It has been a long journey getting here and I am so looking forward to not only the rest of my life with Kyle....but to spending eternity with the family I love more than anything in this world!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

oh bri!!!!!!!! what an AWESOME thing!!!! i know how much you have wanted this. i couldn't be happier for all of you!

The WoodLand School said...

I have tears as I read this. I am so, so happy for you and Kyle and the kids!

Lexy said...

I'm so, so happy for you!!